- It possesses a unique wetland ecosystem and a large octopus-shaped water body.
- The lake is also called the gateway to the backwaters of Kerala and is well known for its houseboat and backwater resorts.
- Ashtamudi Wetland was included in the list of wetlands of international importance.
- Along both banks of the lake and its backwater canals, coconut groves and palm trees interspersed with towns and villages are seen.
- Kollam, (formerly Quilon) is an important historic port city located on the right bank of the lake.
- Location: Kerala, India.
- Destination type: Leisure destination.
- Quilon or Kollam and inevitably Ashtamudi lake’s importance is claimed to be dated to the days of the Phoenicians and the Romans.
- Ibn Batuta, during his 24-year sojourn in the 14th century, is reported to have mentioned about the Quilon port as one of the five ports for Chinese trade.
- Links with Persia (9th century), Chinese mandarin in 1275 AD, Portuguese in 1502 AD, and the Dutch followed British in 1795 AD are recorded history
Activities at Ashtamudi Lake
- Cruising by Houseboat
- Munroe Island Backwaters Canoe Tours.
- Houseboat Stays
- Sit Back & Relax
- Explore around
How to reach there
- Thiruvananthapuram international airport (80 km)
- Cochin International airport (180 km)
- Kollam Junction railway station(10 km)
- Kollam KSRTC Bus Station (9 Km)
|All Season||Average temperature|
|All||25°C to 30°C|
5 Nearby destinations within 100 km
- Padmanabhaswamy Temple
5 Hotels at near Ashtamudi Lake with room tariff less than Rs.5000/- per night
- Munroe Island Lake – http://www.munroeislandlakeresort.in/
- Mangrove Holidays Bed & Breakfast Munroe Island – https://mangrove-holidays.kerala-hotels.net/en/
- Ashtamudi Villas – http://ashtamudivillas.com/
- Chandra Inn https://chandrainn.com/
- The Quilon Beach Hotel & Convention Centre – https://qresorts.in/
Ref:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashtamudi_Lake, google.com,https://www.accuweather.com/