Amsterdam – Venice of the North
Amsterdam is the Netherlands’ capital, known for its artistic heritage, elaborate canal system and narrow houses with gabled facades, legacies of the city’s 17th-century Golden Age. Its Museum District houses the Van Gogh Museum, works by Rembrandt and Vermeer at the Rijksmuseum, and modern art at the Stedelijk.
- Amsterdam was founded as a fishing village around the thirteenth century.
- During the 14th, but especially the 15th century, Amsterdam underwent a rapid development, which laid the foundation for the Golden Age.
- On 12 March 1345, the miracle of Amsterdam occurred and Amsterdam became an important pilgrimage town.
- The end of the 19th century is sometimes called Amsterdam’s second Golden Age. New museums, the Centraal Station and the Concertgebouw were built.
- The cultural revolution of the 1960s and 1970s made Amsterdam the magisch centrum (magical centre) of Europe.
Activities for tourists
- Cruise through the canals
- Visit Rijskmuseum
- Visit House of Bols
- Visit Van Gogh museum
- Visit Anne Frank house
How to reach there
Schiphol International Airport is well-connected to various cities in the world by regular flights. While the national carrier for the Netherlands is KLM, some other flights which operate from here are Air France, British Airways, Emirates, Lufthansa, Singapore Airlines and US Airways.
Amsterdam enjoys excellent rail connectivity with most other cities in Europe. High speed trains to Amsterdam operate from London, Brussels, Paris, Frankfurt and Berlin. A train journey to the Dutch capital has its benefits as it brings you face to face with the scenic countryside.
Buses to Amsterdam operate from major European cities like London and Paris via Brussels frequently.
Amsterdam is an important maritime port of Europe. Taking a cruise is a unique and luxurious way to reach Amsterdam.
Nearby destinations for tour operators / travel agents
- Rotterdam ( 93kms away)
- The Hague ( 67 kms away)
- Cologne ( 262kms away)
- Antwerp (165 kms away)
- Keukenhof gardens ( 42kms away)
Some hotels in Destination name for tourists and tour operators with room tariff less than Rs.5000/- per night
Hotel Museum Lanehttp://www.museumlane.com/
Art Hotel Amsterdamhttps://westcordhotels.nl/hotel/art-hotel-amsterdam-3-stars/
via Amsterdam https://www.viahostels.com/amsterdam/
St Christopher’s Inn https://www.st-christophers.co.uk/amsterdam/winston-hostel