Alleppey -Venice of the East :
Alappuzha (or Alleppey) is a city on the Laccadive Sea in the southern Indian state of Kerala. It’s best known for houseboat cruises along the rustic Kerala backwaters, a network of tranquil canals and lagoons. Alappuzha Beach is the site of the 19th-century Alappuzha Lighthouse
- Pliny and Ptolemy of the 1st and 2nd centuries had mentioned places like Purakkad or Barace in Alleppey in their classical works.
- Christianity had a foothold in this district, even from the 1st century AD. The church located at Kokkamangalam was one of the seven churches founded by St. Thomas , one of the twelve disciples of Jesus Christ.
- It was under Chera Empire, during 9th to 12th centuries AD.
- Since landing in Calicut in 1498, the Portuguese started playing an influential role in Alappuzha. The famous St. Andrew’s Basilica was built by them during this period
- The struggles of Punnapra and Vayalar in 1946 arrayed the people against Sir C. P. Ramaswami Iyer, who was Dewan of Travancore. This led to Ramaswami Iyer’s exit from the political scene of Travancore.
Activities for tourists
- Enjoy backwaters and Kerala cusine in a houseboat
- Enjoy the sunset in Alleppey beach or Marari beach
- Visit historical sites like St.Andrew’s Basilica or 10th century Budha statue ( Karumadikuttan)
- Participate in annual snake boat race with 20-30 oars men in each boat
- Get an Ayurveda massage
How to reach there
Nearest airport is Kochi internationa airport 85 kms away. It has direct flights to some of major cities in India like Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore and Chennai. It also operators flights to Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Dubai, Sharjah,Kuwait, Beharain and Columbo
Alleppey railway station is connected to Indian cities like Mumbai, Mangalore, New Delhi and Dhanbad
Nearby destinations for tour operators / travel agents
- Kochi ( 53 Kms away)
- Kovalam ( 160 kms away)
- Kumarakom ( 33kms away)
- Thekkady (137 kms away)
- Munnar (163 km away)
Some hotels in Alleppey for tourists and tour operators with room tariff less than Rs.5000/- per night
Alleppey Prince Hotel http://www.alleppeyprincehotel.com/
Tryst Palmyra Grand Suite https://www.treebo.com/hotels-in-alleppey/treebo-tryst-palmyra-grand-suite-old-medical-college-329/?checkin=2019-09-13&checkout=2019-09-14&hotel_id=329&rateplan=EP&roomconfig=1-0&roomtype=oak&utm_campaign=palmyragrandsuites&utm_medium=gplus&utm_source=partnerships
Oxygen Resorts Alleppey https://www.cluboxygen.net/
Pagoda Resorts Alappuzha http://www.pagodaresorts.com/
White Saand Beach Resort http://www.whitesaand.com/
Malayalam Lake Resorts https://malayalam-lake-resorts.business.site