Location : Jaipur , India
Destination Type: Cultural
The Jaipur Literature Festival, or JLF, is an annual literary festival which takes place in the Indian city of Jaipur each January . It is the world’s largest free literary festival. The Festival is an Initiative of the Jaipur Virasat Foundation (JVF) founded by Faith Singh, originally as a segment of the Jaipur Heritage International Festival . Later it was developed into a free-standing festival of literature standing on its own feet
The entry to this festival is free if you have pre-registered your seat, but you have to pay around INR 300 for on the spot registration.
History of Jaipur Literature Festival
- Jaipur Literature Festival was founded in 2006 featuring 18 writers
- It was developed into a free-standing festival of literature standing on its own feet in 2008
- A number of events created by the organizers of JLF, loosely named JLF International, have taken place in other cities around the world.
- The festival stood in its glory and entered a new path in 2015 with organizing the fest in Colorado, USA, and Southbank, London.
Activities for tourists at Jaipur Literature Festival
- Listen to Shubha Mudgal in conversation with Sudha Sadhanand
- Rajasthani folklorist Vijayan Detha
- Participate in the discussion of Japanese concept of Ikigai
- Publisher Urvashi Butalia will moderate a conversation with an array of writers: Sunny Singh, Roanna Gonsalves, Annie Zaidi and Hansda Sowvendra Shekhar
- Poetry Durbar (January 25, 5.15pm–6.15pm, Durbar Hall)
How to reach there
Sanganer Airport is 10 Km away from the main city and has both Domestic and International Terminus which is 7 Km and 10 Km far respectively. All the major Airlines like Air India, IndiGo, Spicejet connects Jaipur with the other major cities in India. Direct flight to Kuala Lumpur, Sharjah, Muscat and Dubai is also available from here.
Indian Railways has connected this popular tourist place with all the major cities like Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata, Chennai, Bangalore, Ahmadabad, Jammu, Kanpur, Bhubaneswar, Agra etc.
Nearby destinations for tour operators / travel agents
- Agra ( 239 kms away)
- Pushkar (151 kms away)
- Rathanbore ( 190 kms away)
- Karauli ( 160 kms away)
- Bharatpur (190 kms away)
Some hotels in Jaipur for tourists and tour operators with room tariff less than Rs.5000/- per night
Hotel Sarang Palace http://www.hotelsarangpalace.com/
Fort Chandragupt https://www.fortchandragupt.com/
Golden Tulip Jaipur https://jaipur.goldentulip.com/en-us
Krishna Palace https://www.krishnapalace.com/
Heiwa Heaven Resort https://www.heiwaheaven.com/
Photo courtesy :By Source, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=34654928