Rishikesh Yoga capital of the world
Rishikesh is a city in India’s northern state of Uttarakhand, in the Himalayan foothills beside the Ganges River. The river is considered holy, and the city is renowned as a center for studying yoga and meditation. Temples and ashrams (centers for spiritual studies) line the eastern bank around Swarg Ashram, a traffic-free, alcohol-free and vegetarian enclave upstream from Rishikesh town.
- The whole area (Garhwal) was famous as Kedarkhand in the past as mentioned in the Skanda Purana.
- Legends state that Lord Rama did penance here for killing Ravana
- After 1815 East India Company came here. After freedom the area is merged in Uttarpradesh.
- In November 2000 Uttaranchal became independent from Uttarpradesh. From January 2007 Uttranchal was named as a Uttarakhand
- In September 2015, the Union tourism minister Mahesh Sharma announced that Rishikesh and Haridwar will be the first in India to be given the title of “twin national heritage cities”
Activities for tourists
- Visit Lakshma Jhoola
- Visit The Beatles Ashram
- Visit Rajaji National Park
- Go for river rafting
- Tryout bungee jumping
How to reach there
Nearest airport is Dehradun airport. It has flights to Delhi, Mumbai , Varanasi, Bengaluru, Hyderabad and Jaipur
The station acts as source station for Hemkunt Express which runs from Rishikesh to Jammu Tawi and Jammu Tawi to Rishikesh. The departure time of the train is 4:20 PM (IST). It is connected to Haridwar JN with two reserved mail/express trains 14609/14610(Hemkunt Express) and 24887/24888 (Barmer Express); and four unreserved trains 54471/54472, 54481/54482, 54463/54464 & 54483/54486. This city is connected with state capital Dehradun with rail route via Raiwala JN which is 12 km from the city.
Nearby destinations for tour operators / travel agents
- Haridwar( 22kms away)
- Dehradun(50 kms away)
- Kedarnath (105kms away)
- Nainital ( 250kms away)
- Mussourie ( 78 kms away)
Some hotels in Rishikesh for tourists and tour operators with room tariff less than Rs.5000/- per night
Hill Top Swiss Cottagehttps://www.swisscottagerishikesh.com/
Hotel Indira Nikunjhttps://www.indiranikunj.com/
The Forest View Hotel http://theforestview.com/hotel/
The Palms Resort http://www.thepalmsresort.in/
Green by One Hotels https://www.onehotels.in/
Green Land Swiss Cottage https://business.google.com/website/green-land-swiss-cottage