Mussoorie – Himalayan hill station called Queen of hills
Nestled amidst the foothills of the Garhwal Himalayan ranges, Mussoorie, also known as Queen of The Hills, stands at an altitude of 7000 feet above sea level, and has a cool, pleasant climate throughout the year. The pristine, natural beauty of Mussoorie makes it a very popular choice of holiday for honeymooners.
- It was due to the conquest of the Garhwal and the Dehra in 1803 by the Gurkhas, Mussoorie came into being
- Mussoorie hill station was founded by Lt. Frederick Young of East India Company in 1823
- Sir George Everest, after whom Mount Everest, the highest peak in the world, is named, lived in Mussoorie from 1832-60.
- Towards the latter half of the 19th century, Mussoorie had became a favoured hill station for Indians as well as the British.
- The Nehru family, including Nehru’s daughter Indira (later Indira Gandhi) were frequent visitors to Mussoorie in the 1920s, 1930s and 1940s
Activities for tourists
- Visit Kempty falls
- Enjoy Lake Mist
- Shop and strall through Mall Road
- Enjoy view of Himalayas from Gun Hill
- Try Paragliding and Trekking
How to reach there
Jollygrant Airport in Dehradun serves as the nearest airport to Mussoorie. Direct flights from Delhi and Mumbai are available till Dehradun.
A number of state government and private buses connect Mussoorie with nearby places like Delhi, Dehradun and other important towns of Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand.
Dehradun Railway Station, located around 36 km away serves as the nearest railway station to Mussoorie. Number of trains from far and near of cities including Delhi, Kolkata, Jammu and Amritsar serve Dehradun city
Nearby destinations for tour operators / travel agents
- Dehradun ( 34 kms away)
- Rishikesh ( 77kms away)
- Haridwar ( 86 kms away)
- Kedarnath ( 101 kms away)
- Chandigarh (195 kms away)
Some hotels in Mussoorie for tourists and tour operators with room tariff less than Rs.5000/- per night
Fortune Resort Grace Mussoorie https://www.fortunehotels.in/mussoorie-fortune-resort-grace.dh.32?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_term=Fortune%20Resort%20Grace&utm_content=Mussoorie&utm_campaign=Listings
Amara The High Walls https://www.amararesorts.in/
Hotel Beechwood Mussoorie http://www.beechwoodmussoorie.com/
The Rink Pavilion http://rinkpavilion.com/