Kodaikanal – Princess of hill stations
Kodaikanal is a hill town in the southern Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It’s set in an area of granite cliffs, forested valleys, lakes, waterfalls and grassy hills. At 2,000 meters above sea level, the town centers around man-made, star-shaped Kodaikanal Lake, bordered by evergreen forest.
- The ancient residents of KodaiKanal were the Palaiyar tribal people. The reference of Kodaikanal was found in Tamil Sangam Literature
- Modern Kodaikanal was established as a hill station by American missionaries in 1845
- In 1863, Kodaikanal Lake was created by Sir Vere Hendry Levinge
- In 1872, Lt. Coaker cut a path along the steep south east facing ridge which commends a magnificent view of the plains below. The 1 km (.6 mi) path was named after him as Coaker’s Walk
- In 1890, the Kodaikanal Boat Club was formed.
- Go for boating at Kodaikanal lake
- Watch scenic beauty from Dolphi’s nose
- Trek through Coakers walk
- Visit Byrant’s park
- Enjoy Silver cascade waterfalls
How to reach there
Regular buses from Dindigul, Chennai, Pondicherry, Trichy, Madurai, Palani and Coimbatore run to Kodaikanal.
Kodai Road at a distance of 100 km is the nearest railway station from Kodaikanal.
At a distance of 120 km, Madurai airport is the nearest one. It is connected to Chennai, Mumbai, Delhi, Signapore, Colombo and Dubai
- Munnar ( 160 kms away)
- Valparai (181 kms away)
- Coimbatore (171 kms away)
- Idukki (176 kms away)
- Sreerangam ( 201 kms away)
Some hotels in Kodaikanal with room tariff less than Rs.5000/- per night
Zostel Kodaikanal https://www.zostel.com/zostel/kodaikanal/
Hotel Cliffton Kodaikanal http://clifftonresorts.com/
The Pear County https://www.thepearcounty.com/
Hotel Astoria http://www.astoriaveg.com/
Trippr Kodaikanal Backpacker Hostel http://www.tripprworld.com/
#Tourbeetle #Softwarefortouroperators #Kodaikanal #hillstationsofIndia #toursoftware