Istanbul – Home to Grand Bazaar, the world’s most visited tourist attraction in 2014
Istanbul is a major city in Turkey that straddles Europe and Asia across the Bosphorus Strait. Its Old City reflects cultural influences of the many empires that once ruled here.
- The earliest known settlement dates from 6700 BC
- Continuosly inhabited for 3000 years ( founded between 11th and 13th centuries BC)
- It was colonised by the Greeks in the 7th century BC. It fell to the Roman Empire in AD 196
- In 330 AD it was renamed Constantinople
- Constantinople was the capital of the Byzantine Empire, which ended with the Muslim conquest in 1453 and became capital of Ottoman
- Since 1930, the native name “Istanbul” has been the sole official name of the city in Turkish
Activities for tourists
- Visit Blue mosque
- Visit Aya Sophia
- Shop at Grand Bazaar
- Visit Basilica Cistern
- Visit Hippodrome
How to reach there
Istanbul’s main airport is Istanbul Atatürk Airport. It is Europe’s third busiest airport, after London Heathrow and Paris Charles de Gaulle. There are regular flights to numerous cities across the globe, such as Athens, Moscow, Toronto, Paris, Rome, London, Dubai, Cairo, Seoul, Singapore, New York, etc.
There are several bus routes connecting Istanbul to international destinations such as Romania, Bulgaria, Greece in Europe and Syria and Iran in the Middle-east.
Istanbul is fairly well connected to cities in the country via the rail network. A high speed train line also connects Istanbul to the capital city of Ankara. Trains to Istanbul are also available from European destinations. However, these take a lot of time and are now not a popular mode of transport.
Nearby destinations for tourists
- Prince Islands ( 18kms away)
- Kilyos (57kms away)
- Bursa ( 154 kms away)
- Edirne ( 240 kms away)
- Sapanca ( 136 kms away)
Some hotels in Istanbul for tour operators and tourists with room tariff less than Rs.5000/- per night
Kadikoy Port Hotel http://www.kadikoyporthotel.com/
Clarion Hotel İstanbul Mahmutbey https://www.choicehotels.com/turkey/istanbul/clarion-hotels/tu041?mc=blgobeeunbnxx&pmf=bleu
Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel, Istanbul https://www.radissonhotels.com/en-us/hotels/radisson-blu-conference-istanbul-airport?cid=a:se+b:gmb+c:emea+i:local+e:rdb+d:eerut+h:ISTZQ
ibis istanbul West Hotel https://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-9815-ibis-istanbul-airport-/index.shtml
Nice Royal Otel http://niceroyalotel.com/