Location: Thekkady , Kerala, India
Destination type : Wellness Destination
The Thekkady forest bath / nature walk in Thekkady can boost your physiological and psychological health. .Shinrin-Yoku, translated into English as ‘forest bathing’, means taking in the forest atmosphere during a leisurely walk. It is a therapy that was developed in Japan during the 1980s, becoming a cornerstone of preventive health care and healing in Japanese medicine . Thekkady Periyar Tiger reserve is much opted tropical forest with medicinal herbs and serene nature. The time spend in pristine nature can bring wonderful results in you.
History of Thekkady
- The Periyar Valley was under the reign of the Pandyas who ruled from Madurai until the 12th century.
- In 1895, the Mullaperiyar dam was constructed.
- During the 18th and 19th centuries, the reserve was the hunting ground of the Travancore kings.
- Inside the reserve was a palace – the Edapalayam Lake Palace – meant for the guests of the royal family. In 1899, the area was declared as a forest reserve called the Periyar Lake Reserve.
- Project Tiger, initiated in 1972 to protect the magnificent Bengal Tigers,
Activities for tourists at Thekkady
- Go for a trekking inside forest along with forest officials
- Camp inside jungle and be with the nature
- Meditate in the morning dew and set mind free
- Have an elephant ride and watch wild animals
- Tryout Kerala Auryveda wellness programs for detoxifying yourself
How to reach there
The nearest domestic airport to Thekkady is Madurai airport, which is about 136 km away. There are flights connecting Madurai to various important Indian cities including:
The nearest train station is in Kottayam which is roughly 110 kms away. There are trains from Kottayam to most of the major cities in India like:
- New Delhi
- Bangalore etc
Winter months of October to February is the perfect time for visiting Thekkady.
|Winter ( October to February)
|10°C to 30°C
|Summer (March to May)
|25°C to 35°C
Nearby destinations for tour operators / travel agents
- Kumily (2 kms away)
- Munnar (90kms away)
- Ramakkalmedu (36 kms away)
- Madhurai ( 139 kms away)
- Kumarakom ( 133kms away)
Some hotels in Thekkady for tourists and tour operators with room tariff less than Rs.5000/- per night
Abad Green Forest https://www.abadhotels.com/thekkady
Periyar Nest https://periyar-nest-resort-thekkady.business.site/
Hotel Tree Top http://hoteltreetop.com/
Junglepark Resorts http://www.jungleparkresorts.in/
#CRMfortouroperators #leadmanagerfortouroperators #itinerarybuildersoftware #Softwarefortouroperators #Tourbeetle
#itinerarybuilder #WellnessDestination #Thekkady #forestbath
Photo courtesy: By Anand2202, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=49746714