Banos – Gateway to Amazon
It’s known for access to trails on the active Tungurahua volcano just south, and for its mineral-rich hot springs. The central Church of Our Lady of Holy Water in Banos has paintings depicting miracles attributed to the Virgin Mary.
- Ecuador was populated by Indian tribes before Europeans arrived in 1526
- The Inca Empire extended around the Baños area
- The first Spanish settlement however was established 1534, in Quito.
- Francisco Pizarro who discovered Peru, also founded settlements around Ecuador
- In 1941, Ecuador was invaded by Peru and lost much of its Amazon territory to Peru.
- Since the mid-20th century, Banos has been known mostly for its tourism.
- Visit Church of the virgin of the holy water
- Try Puenting or Bridge Jumping
- Have a visit to holy waterfalls Cascada de la Virgen
- Visit Basilica Reina del Rosario de Agua Santa
- See the Rio Pastaza Gorge
How to reach there
Quito airport is 191 kms away from Banos. It is connected to Mexico city, Miami, Atlanta, Madrid, Amstardam, Houston, Lima and New York
There are frequent connections to Baños from Quito (3.5 hours, $4.00), Riobamba (2 hours, $2) and Guayaquil (6.5 hours, $10.00). Most buses out of Quito will leave from Terrestre Quitumbe, also referred to as Tumbe (located in the far south of the city). The closest bigger town is Ambato (1 hour, $1) on the Panamerican and there are very frequent buses between the two towns.
- Guayaquil ( 303 kms away)
- Latacunga (82.4 kms away)
- Ambato (40kms away)
- Quito ( 191 kms away)
Some hotels in Banos with room tariff less than Rs.5000/- per night
Great Hostels Backpackers Los Pinos http://www.greathostels.com.ec/
Hotel La Chimenea http://www.hotelchimenea.com/
Casa Giralda https://giralda.base7booking.com/?adults=0&babies=0…
Erupcion Art Hotel & Hostel https://hostalerupcion.com/hostalerupcion/
Hostal Dulce Amanecer http://www.hostaldulceamanecer.com/
#Tourbeetle #Softwarefortouroperators #Banos #Amazon #toursoftware