Lucerne – Unexposed beautiful Swiss town
The most beautiful Swizz city Nestled at the foot of the majestic Swiss Alps and on the shores of crystal blue Lake Lucerne . With snow covered mountains, blue lake, the world’s steepest cogwheel railroad, the oldest covered bridge in Europe , World’s leading classical concert hall- Lucern is a truely a paradise for tourists.
- Around 750 AD the Benedictine Monastery of St. Leodegar was founded in the area where present Lucern stands
- By 9th century the area had become known as Luciaria
- In the year of 1178, the settlement broke free from its rule by the Murbach Abbey and the town of Lucerne was officially founded shortly afterwards.
- By end of 13th century King Rudolph I von Habsburg of Germany (former Duke of Austria and Styria) took control of the monastery, as well as the town
- Lucerne continued with its agricultural trade, although, in the 1860s, just after the railway came to town (connecting Basel and Olten), it finally followed suit and factories were born.
- On June 17, 2007, voters of the city of Lucerne and the adjacent town of Littau agreed to a merger in a simultaneous referendum. This took effect on January 1, 2010
- Visit Kapellbrücke ( Chapel bridge) – built in 1333, this bridge is interesting for the more than 100 17th-century pictures hanging from the roof rafters inside, depicting patron saints and scenes from the town’s history
- Lion Monument visit- a huge figure of a dying lion hewn from the face of the rock ledge
- See octogonal shaped Wasserturm (water tower)
- View across Lake Lucerne. encircled by the Swiss Alps
- Take scenic photos near Museggmauer (Musegg Wall)
- Trip up Mount Titlis -a popular base for mountain biking, hiking, golfing, and mountaineering, while the deep powder of the winter months lures skiers and snowboarders
- Cog rail road ride(Some of the steam engines date to the 1920s )
How to reach there
Lucerne can be easily reached in no time at all from nearly every other city in Switzerland using the Swiss Federal Railway. There are hourly trains from Bern, Interlaken, Olten and Zurich Airport and half-hourly trains from Zurich.
Zurich airport is 1.5 hours away by train. It operates flights to Delhi, London, Hongkong, Dubai, Singapore, Doha, Dublin, Philadelphia, Istanbul, Bangkok, Amman, Copenhagen,Seol, Amsterdam, Madrid, Naples , Tokyoand many other major cities in the world
- Zurich (52 kms away)
- Mt.Pilatus(4 kms away)
- Burgenstock(17 kms away)
- Interlaken(68 kms away)
- Bern(113 kms away)
Some hotels in Lucerne with tariff less than Rs.5000/- per room night
Backpackers Lucern https://www.backpackerslucerne.ch/
Lion Lodge Lucerne http://www.lionlodge.ch/
Youth Hostel https://www.youthhostel.ch/de/hostels/luzern
Belpark Hostel http://www.bellparkhostel.ch/pages/page_1.php