- Kerala Kalamandalam was founded in 1930 by Sri Vallathol Narayana Menon and Sri Mukunda raja at Cheruthuruthy. Currently, it grew up to become a premier public institution in India imparting training and conducting performances of the classical arts (500 BCE) of Kerala.
- It was founded when the visionary poet and nationalist envisaged the extinction of some of the classical art forms of Kerala due to socio-political reasons.
- The artforms which were facing extinction then were trained and practiced almost exclusively in the temple and its premises only.
- It has been the best institution in world imparting training in and conducting a performance of Kathakali, Koodiyattam, Mohiniyattam, Panchavadyam, and Thullal.
- UNESCO financially supported Kalamandalam in 2004 through Japan Funds Trust. The great visions of the founders helped this institution to have a modern and humanitarian outlook and establish and flourish in the realm of the public sphere.
- How to reach
Nearest railway station:-Shoranur railway station (3km).
Distance from Kochi:-(110 km).
Nearest airport:- Kerala’s international airport at Nedumbassery (85 km).