At Thekkady you can experience a misty morning under the forest capony or a close encounter with the wild animals in their natural habitat. Imagine spotting a herd of elephants with their calves or a Bengal tiger watching you carefully from forest. Thekkady is a place which offer you this and more experiences. No wonder the famous Bollywood movies like Dil Se were shot here. This area is reserve forest since 1936.
History of Thekkady
- The Periyar Valley was under the reign of the Pandyas who ruled from Madurai until the 12th century.
- In 1895, the Mullaperiyar dam was constructed.
- During the 18th and 19th centuries, the reserve was the hunting ground of the Travancore kings.
- Inside the reserve was a palace – the Edapalayam Lake Palace – meant for the guests of the royal family. In 1899, the area was declared as a forest reserve called the Periyar Lake Reserve.
- Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary was started in 1934 when certain initiatives were taken by the state government in order to establish the Nellikampathy Sanctuary.
- Project Tiger, initiated in 1972 to protect the magnificent Bengal Tigers,
Activities for tourists at Thekkady
- Go for boating
- Go for Bamboo rafting
- Have an Elephant ride
- Trek through forest
- Watch wild animals in their environment
How to reach there
The nearest domestic airport to Thekkady is Cochin International airport about 144 kms away. There are flights connecting to various important Indian cities including
- Hyderabad etc
The nearest train station is in Kottayam which is roughly 110 kms away. It has trains to Indian cities like:
- New Delhi
- Bangalore etc
Best time to visit Thekkady are winter months November to February
|Winter season (November to February)||16°C to 27°C|
|Summer season (March to May)||23°C to 30°C|
Nearby destinations within 100 kms