Split – 2300 years old Croatian destination
Split, a town on Croatia’s Dalmatian Coast, is known for its beaches and the fortresslike complex at its center, Diocletian’s Palace, erected by the Roman emperor in the 4th century.
- The city of Split was founded as the Greek colony of Aspálathos (Aσπάλαθος) in the 3rd or 2nd century BC.
- It became a prominent settlement around 650 CE when it succeeded the ancient capital of the Roman province of Dalmatia, Salona.
- In 1805, the Peace of Pressburg added Split to the Napoleonic Kingdom of Italy and in 1806 it was included in the French Empire,
- In April 1941, following the invasion of Yugoslavia by Nazi Germany, Split was occupied by Italy.
- After World War II, Split became a part of the Socialist Republic of Croatia,
Activities for tourists
- Hike on Marjan
- Explore Diocletian palace
- Explore ol town
- Enjoy the beach or visit museums
- Strol alon Riva
How to reach there
Split Airport has seasonal flights to Athens, Dublin, London, Rome, Paris, Barcelona etc
Split is the southernmost integrated point of the Croatian Railway network.
Nearby destinations for tour operators / travel agents
- Hvar (37 kms away)
- Makarska( 89 kms away)
- Zadar (159 kms away)
- Mostar (179 kms away)
Some hotels in Split for tourists and tour operators with room tariff less than Rs.5000/- per night
Heritage Palace Varos https://www.maestral-accommodation.com/
Atrium Hotel https://www.hotel-atrium.hr/
Luxury Rooms Pino https://www.booking.com/hotel/hr/luxury-pino-rooms.en-gb.html?aid=1205162;label=gog235jc-1DCAsoZUIRbHV4dXJ5LXBpbm8tcm9vbXNIIVgDaGyIAQGYASG4ARfIAQzYAQPoAQH4AQSIAgGoAgO4AvT10O4FwAIB;sid=8e102958d450e366806d10e8d53df582;dist=0&keep_landing=1&sb_price_type=total&type=total&
Homestay Neva https://www.booking.com/hotel/hr/homestay-neva.en-gb.html?aid=1205162;label=gog235jc-1DCAsoZUINaG9tZXN0YXktbmV2YUghWANobIgBAZgBIbgBF8gBDNgBA-gBAfgBBIgCAagCA7gC6PPQ7gXAAgE;sid=8e102958d450e366806d10e8d53df582;dist=0&keep_landing=1&sb_price_type=total&type=total&