Baku World’s lowest lying National Capital
It’s famed for its medieval walled old city, which contains the Palace of the Shirvanshahs, a vast royal complex, and the iconic stone Maiden Tower. Contemporary landmarks include the Zaha Hadid–designed Heydar Aliyev Center, and the Flame Towers.
- Baku was founded at least before the 5th century AD
- In the 1st century, Romans organized two Caucasian campaigns and reached Baku. Near Baku, in Gobustan, Roman inscriptions dating from 84–96 AD were discovered.
- In 1501, Safavid shah Ismail I laid siege to Baku Baku was captured on October of 1806 and eventually absorbed into the Russian Empire
- In 1823, the world’s first paraffin factory was built in the city, and in 1846, the world’s first oil well was drilled in Bibi-Heybat.
- In 1991, following the collapse of the Soviet Union Azebeijan became indepenedent and Baku became capital
Activities for tourists
- Visit Heydar Aliyev Center
- Visit Flame Towers
- Visit museum of Dwarf books
- Visit Museum of carpets
- Visit Little Venice
How to reach there
Heydar Aliyev International Air port is 25 km away from the main city centre of Baku. Almost all major airlines such as Azerbaijan airlines, Austrian Airlines, Turkish Airlines, and British Airlines are linked with this airport and reaching Baku by air is very easy now.
Baku has advanced train service for the travelers. Places like Russia, Ukraine and Moscow have regular connection with Baku through rails. Travelers can easily opt for this way to reach Baku.
Nearby destinations for tour operators / travel agents
- Lankaran ( 247 kms away)
- Shirvan ( 130 kms away)
- Shahdag (209 kms away)
- Gala (34 kms away)
- Lahich (182 kms away)
Some hotels in Destination name for tourists and tour operators with room tariff less than Rs.5000/- per night
Sahil Hostel & Hotel https://www.sahilhostel.com/
Ramada by Wyndham Bakuhttps://www.wyndhamhotels.com/ramada/baku-azerbaijan/ramada-baku/
Bosfor Hotel Baku https://www.bosfor.az
Red Roof Hotel http://www.redroofhotelbaku.site/