Its the second largest municipality in Belgium, after Antwerp . Ghent is a vibrant modern city with an ancient history The city is known for its museums and galleries, medieval castles and green public park and recreation areas. Its cobbled streets and charming sidewalk cafés lend it an historic feel and transport you back to the 14th century.
1. Archaeological evidence shows human presence in the region durine Stone Age and the Iron Age
2. Around 650, Saint Amand founded two abbeys in Ghent: St. Peter’s (Blandinium) and Saint Bavo’s Abbey. The city grew from several nuclei, the abbeys and a commercial centre.
3. In 1500, Juana of Castile gave birth to Charles V, who became Holy Roman Emperor and King of Spain
4. After the Belgian Revolution, with the loss of port access to the sea for more than a decade, the local economy collapsed and the first Belgian trade union originated in Ghent.
5. In the 18th and 19th centuries, the textile industry flourished again in Ghent.
Activities for tourists
1. Cruise through the canal
2. Visit Gravensteen castle
3. Enjoy Saint Bavo cathredal
4. Visit Museum of fine arts
5. Stand and watch Ghent Belfry (the part of a bell tower or steeple in which bells are housed )
How to reach there
The E40 connects Ghent with Bruges and Ostend to the west, and with Brussels, Leuven and Liège to the ea .The E17 connects Ghent with Sint-Niklaas and Antwerp to the north, and with Kortrijk and Lille to the south.
Gent-Sint-Pieters Station: an international railway station with connections to Bruges, Brussels, Antwerp, Kortrijk, other Belgian towns and Lille. The station also offers a direct connection to Brussels Airport.
Brussels airport is the nearest airport. It is connected to Doha, Dubai, Abudabi, Hongkong, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Athens, Tokyo, Vienna, London and some other major international cities
Nearby destinations for tour operators / travel agents
1. Brussels (57 kms away)
2. Antwerp (61kms away)
3. Bruges (47 kms away)
4.Hague ( 170 kms away)
5.Rotterdam( 152 kms away)
Some hotels in Ghent for tourists and tour operators with room tariff less than Rs.5000/- per night
Trek Hostel http://www.treckhostel.be/nl/
Kaba Hotel http://www.kabahostel.be/nl
Eco Hostel http://www.ecohostel.be/